If you are a new Drive Genius 3 user and would like to know how to get started , I have created simplified maintenance steps to guide you. However, Prosoft recommends that you take a safe and methodical approach to get the most out of Drive Genius 3. Also, keep in mind that not all of these steps need to be performed all in one day and you may want to start these tasks when your going to be offline for several hours.
You very first step before using any drive utility is ensure you have a recent backup and then follow the steps below.
- Repair is a tool for verifying and repairing most kinds of logical hard drive faults. It analyzes the volume for a general overview and can repair/rebuild the volume. It can also be used to fix Mac OS X file permissions on your startup volume. It is not necessary to repair your drive in all cases, but if an underlying issue exists like a corrupt directory entry it can halt or alter the defrag process. This can render your Mac un-bootable in some cases.
To Repair your drive:
- Launch Drive Genius 3.
- Click the Repair Icon.
- Select the volume you wish to repair. Choose the function you want to perform from the drop-down menu.
- Click the Start button to proceed.
- Click on the Cancel button to stop the current process.
Scan is designed specifically to verify that every sector (block which can contain information) on your volume or drive can be read correctly. Drive Genius 3 introduces advanced features for performing extended scans and spare bad blocks to assist the hard drive’s internal mechanism to properly reallocate bad sectors.
Steps to Scan and resolve your bad blocks:
- Launch Drive Genius 3 from your startup DVD.
- Click n the Scan icon.
- Highlight the volume or drive you want to scan.
Enable the options for “ Spare Bad Blocks” Click on the Start button.
Adding and deleting files to and from your hard drive will cause the drive to become fragmented. When the OS writes files to the drive, it will look for empty space on the hard drive to write data to. If the space is too small to fit the file, it will write part of the data in one area and the remaining data to another area of the hard drive. However, this will cause the drive to slow down as it will need to scan multiple parts of the hard drive to locate and read the file. This is why using Drive Genius 3 to defragment your hard drive is an excellent way to boost the performance of your computer.
Here is how to Defrag your drive:
- Launch Drive Genius 3
- Click the Defrag Icon.
- Select the volume you wish to Defrag. Click the Start button to proceed.
More info on Drive Genius 3 can be found here: