If your drive is clicking or making any other strange noises this is likely due to some physical problems with the drive. It is strongly recommended that you immediately power down the drive and stop using it. You will likely cause more data loss by using a drive that is clicking or suffering from a hardware issue so the best option is to stop using it and send it to our full-service cleanroom recovery solution: www.TheDataRescueCenter.com
If you've deleted files on your main drive, those files are marked as free space by the system and can be written over as needed. It's important to stop using your computer as soon as possible in this situation. Do not download any software to the drive where the deleted files were (as that download may overwrite those very files you're trying to recover). There are a few options for you in this situation:
- Boot your computer from our Data Rescue Boot DVD
- If you have one, simply follow the instructions on the DVD — Then run a deleted file scan on your drive — You will need a second drive to recover the deleted files to.
- If you do not have a Data Rescue Boot DVD, you may purchase one online. It is important that you download the boot DVD image to a different computer, burn it using that other computer and then take the disc to the computer you're trying to recover deleted files from. Your email receipt for the Boot DVD image download will include instructions on how to burn this boot DVD and use it to boot your Mac.
- You may also purchase Data Rescue in a retail store (Apple store, MicroCenter,etc) or online store (Other World Computing, Amazon, etc). The retail packaged box will include the bootable DVD inside the box.
- Boot your computer via FireWire Target Disc Mode (using another Macintosh)
Target Disk Mode
- Turn off the machine with the corrupted hard drive (machine).
- Connect both machines using a firewire cable.
- Boot the secondary Mac as you do normally.
- Boot the machine with the corrupted hard drive (machine), while holding the "T" key. Hold the "T" key until you see a FireWire icon floating across the screen.
- On your secondary Mac, download and open the Data Rescue 3 demo.
- In Data Rescue 3, select the Target FireWire connected Hard Drive as the drive to scan.
If you do not have access to another Mac, you may contact our sales department to order a bootable DVD to be shipped to you for $7.50 shipping and handling so you may demo the software prior to purchase. You may call our sales line at 1-877-477-6763.
- Boot your computer via secondary bootable drive
If you have a bootable secondary HD that has a Mac operating system on it, you may use it to run Data Rescue 3 & scan your drive. Here's how:
- From a powered off state hold down the "option" key while powering your Mac up.
- Once the option's menu appears select your bootable HD and click the arrow to continue.
- Install Data Rescue 3 to the HD and launch it.
- Now you can scan you HD safely while booting from another drive.
If the deleted files you are trying to recover are NOT on your main drive, then you can simply download the demo for Data Rescue 3 to that main drive, install the application and run it, scanning the other drive where the deleted files occurred.
What's New in Data Rescue 3
Click HERE to see a complete list
Data Rescue 3 is the best digital data recovery software on the market for recovering files from a problem Mac hard drive or that have been previously deleted. Data Rescue 3 is for computer data recovery and works when other Mac data recovery software programs fail.
Data Rescue 3 is also completely safe to use since it does not attempt any risky repairs to the Mac hard drive it's scanning. Data Rescue 3 is the safest, most powerful software for data recovery. Data Rescue 3 is the same software used by many data recovery services, law enforcement, all major branches of the U.S. Military and major intelligence agencies.
You will need to save your recovered Mac files to either an internal or external Mac hard drive (USB or FireWire), removable media device (such as a Zip or MO) or a networked drive.
Do-it-yourself Data Recovery Software
- Award-winning Mac data recovery software, works when other Mac recovery software fails.
- Recovers all types of files from your Mac hard drive.
- Works if the Mac hard drive fails to mount or only partially operates.
- Recovers deleted, lost, and damaged files.
- Recovers digital pictures from your camera media even after it has been erased or reformatted.
- Recover your whole Mac hard drive or just the files you need.
Fast and Easy Results
- No need to disassemble your computer
- FREE technical support via phone or email.
Q: Why is Data Rescue 3 different than other Mac data recovery software programs on the market?
A: Focusing on data recovery, instead of Mac hard drive repair, Data Rescue 3 will work in more cases, recover more effectively, and deliver your files in better condition than other Mac hard drive utilities you may have tried in the past. Data Rescue 3 analyzes your entire Mac hard drive looking for your data, then it meticulously re-assembles your files and stores them to a different location.
Q: Can I recover files that I accidentally deleted, or from a reformatted Mac hard drive?
A: In OS X, when a file is deleted, for example by dragging it to the trash and emptying the trash, the file's name and folder information is usually erased by the system, and is therefore irretrievably lost. However in most cases, the most important part of the file — its contents — are still present on the disk. If a Mac hard drive is reformatted, usually the original file catalog is permanently lost and thus recovering files by their original name and directory location is not possible and thus files are recovered by content. Finding the file by its contents alone is in general a difficult task, requiring algorithms to recognize those contents among all the billions of bytes of data on the disk. This task requires algorithms that are tailored to each specific file type. Data Rescue 3 made a start at this by providing support for about ten important file types that can be recovered by content. Data Rescue 3 increased this content scan capability by an order of magnitude, supporting more than one hundred separate file types. And Data Rescue 3 once again increases this content scan capability. (See the following questions.) If the file types you are looking for are among the supported types, there is a good chance that Data Rescue 3 will be able to find it. Beyond the ten-fold increase in number of content scan file types supported, Data Rescue 3 enhances your ability to find deleted files in another way: the Deleted Files Scan scans only the free space portion of your mac hard drive, greatly reducing the number of files that you must look for to find particular ones. In addition to all of this is FileIQ. FileIQ allows you to add your own file type to Data Rescue 3 to further increase it's capacity to recover your important files. FileIQ works by analyzing your file samples and adding the file patterns so that your User Defined file type can now be located. This vastly increases Data Rescue 3's capabilities to find your deleted files.
Q: Will Data Rescue 3 recover all file types?
A: Data Rescue 3 has an extensive list of hundreds of file types it can recover (listed here). If the file type you are looking to recover is not listed here, there is a powerful new feature call FileIQ that allows Data Rescue 3 to learn about new file types from user-supplied samples. This greatly extends the number of potential Reconstructed file types supported.
Q: What if my mac hard drive won't mount or only partially operates?
A: Data Rescue 3 ships with a bootable DVD, so you can boot your computer directly from the DVD.
Q: Will Data Rescue 3 recover pictures from a digital camera media card, that have been deleted, reformatted or a corrupt media card?
A: Yes, Data Rescue 3 can recover digital images from digital camera media cards as well as Mac hard drives.
Q: I only deleted one file, do I have to recover all the contents on my Mac hard drive?
A: Data Rescue 3 allows you to preview the file before recovering it and you can select the individual files without recovering the whole Mac hard drive.
Q: I am not very technical, what if I need assistance using Data Rescue 3?
A: Prosoft offers FREE pre and post technical support via phone or email.
Q: What if my drive is physically damaged?
A: Prosoft's new, award-winning Data Rescue Center can provide you with a free diagnosis (including free shipping to our facility). This is our full-service hard drive recovery service where we can do Mac hard drive failure recovery. Find out more at www.TheDataRescueCenter.com.